Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bill Hard

Peter

It’s hard to summarize 30 years in one message- you do realize, of course, that we have known each other, and worked for the same company, nearly half our lives! Rather than try to recount those years, I want to share with you two impressions.

The first is your approach to life. Among all of my partners, friends and associates you stand out for one simple reason. You are the most open person I know, both in terms of listening to what others have to say and in sharing your thoughts and feelings. Whether we are talking about business, family, faith or life in general, you have always been upfront and honest, with no hidden agenda. That openness and willingness to hear me out and be a sounding board, without prejudging (although I know you have a strong opinion or two!), has given me a solid foundation of support to which I can always turn. Over the years I have kept the kind handwritten notes you send my way now and again. In my view you are a true leader and a true friend.

The other impression relates, of course, to golf. Pebble Beach, October, 2006, the third and final day of a very special golf outing, and my game, in a word, is terrible. Every one else had birdied at least one hole and I hadn’t come close. Coach DiLullo comes over to me (we must have been on the same team for that hole!) as I am addressing the ball, which of course is in the rough. You looked at me, asked what club I was holding (a 6 iron for the record), and told me to imagine my head in a box that it should not leave during my swing. Dutifully following your advice (I was desperate!) I kept my head “in the box”, put the ball 10 feet from the hole, and made the birdie putt. As we were walking off the green you put your arm around my shoulder, flashed your best smile, and said “That was the cheapest golf lesson you’ll ever receive!” And it was, as well as the most effective!

Thanks for being a true friend and partner over these past 30 years and welcome to the 60s- I know you will make the most of it.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment