Monday, September 20, 2010

Dad's thoughts on turning 60

60 years old, I can hardly believe

As I ponder the memories so hard to retrieve

1950 to now so many thoughts to share

Sit back, relax, cry or laugh as you dare.

The year 1950 was one of the best

Pewe and Jule’s second child was added to their nest

Blind in one eye but otherwise cute

A great addition to the family, one could hardly refute.

1958 brought a brand new brother

To go with Sam and the one-eyed other

Two brothers, a mom and a dad

I had it all with all that I had

A childhood to be cherished for sure

Having too much fun to even know we were poor

Baseball, basketball and football year round

My friends in the neighborhood kept me safe and sound.

Grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins galore

Not one single day was a bore

Mom and dad taught me to love without rules

They prepared me for life with all the right tools

Margareta and Galliano gave me the mold

To be a great Pop-Pop, truth be told.

1968 to Nova for four years of college

Playing, partying, picking up some knowledge

Garry, Rick, Bob and I forged a partnership

That’s lasted a lifetime, a real pleasure trip.

1970 brought to me the love of my life

My teacher, my friend, my mentor, my wife

Without you this poem has no rhyme

You have been there for me, time after time.

1972 brought the first real blow to my heart

When Dad died suddenly, my world fell apart

I learned how precious family was to me

Never take each other for granted you see.

1975 sang to us a new tune

When our first baby girl came in June

Now she’s a grown mom with no rest

Take heart Nate, she has learned from the best.

1979 delivered a real bundle of joy

God gave us a healthy strong little boy

Now he’s a dad being put to the test

Take heart Lexy, he has learned from the best.

1984 we finished our family of three

When Becca was born, it brought so much glee

Now she is married and filled with zest

Take heart Rich, she has learned from the best.

Oh the years have flown by so fast

So many teachers to thank from the past

There’s Pete, Sadie, Lonny and Vee

Elma, Carmen, Rose and of course Aunt Millie

So many others too many to name

They all would be in my hall of fame.

2006 brought a very large ripple

When I underwent the now famous wipple

A life lesson learned in all that pain

It’s ok to suffer, it leads to much gain

2008 brought the empty nest

Sure to be the best of the rest

With Luke, Julia, Samantha and Jake

So many more memories to make

Of course, I expect more grandchildren to come

When your old, how else do you have fun?

In 2010, I lost the best of them all

When mom want home to her final call.

She gave and she gave then she gave some more

A saint, an angel, good through to the core

60 years and all of them earned

Listen now to what else I have learned:

Love each other throughout all the days

In actions, words and all other ways

Love your spouse and children unconditionally

And good things will happen. I promise you’ll see

Always give to God your all

And He will carry you each time you fall.

I thank you for each one of the years

The joys and laugher and even the tears

Enjoy the night, I have no more to say

Except that someone other than me has to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment