Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Garry Jerome




Having such a long period to think about (40 plus years) makes this hard. And as your dad knows many of the "Committee's" activities over those 40 years are classified. But suffice to say I have had the pleasure of watching your dad grow as a person, as a businessman and a golfer ( there was a time when he was almost as bad as me---- I saidalmost ) During that time there has been one consistent thing- a strong devotion to family. ( after all we are Italians)
There is no one particular event that stands out. Lots of little anecdotes that make me smile. Not sure if he ever told you this one but it's fun so I will repeat it. A few years ago your mom and dad and Nancy and I were golfing at Stone Harbor, There is a par three on the front nine that is an island green, water all around. Your dad was waiting for the rest of us to finally stop hitting balls in the water and get on the green. I think he was already on. He was standing to the right of the flag with his back to the hole. Not sure why but he stepped back a few paces and yes - stepped right off the island green and into the water. Only because he is such a finely tuned athlete was he able to grab the bulkhead as he fell. So he did not go all the way in but did get very wet. I can't remember if he made the par ! Also can't remember if your mom had her camera out but perhaps there is proof of the event. probably not as good a par three memory for him as his recent birdie at Pebble but I will remember the Stone Harbor event more fondly.
Happy birthday Pete. Glad you have caught up to me.
Garry

No comments:

Post a Comment