Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dave DiGuglielmo

I would have to say that one of my fondest memories that I have for Peter Dillullo was the last summer of Westtown Swim Club. All of a sudden Uncle Pete had a new position at work that was called a Controller. Now, I did not know what a Controller was at 10 years old, so I doubt I gave it to much thought, that was until the DiLullo’s moved. They moved from the house at the corner of Paoli Pike and N Veronica Road, (which was walking distance from our house), to the house built in Hunt Country. I remember the first time we went over to visit the new house, all I could think about was how much fun it was going to be to play in this nice new big house with my bestest friend in the whole world since birth, Melissa. I remember being in awe of this house and all the room to run and play. From there the memories grew but from that date on I wanted to be a controller so I could have a house like that.

That day has such an impact on me that when I began college, my major was accounting, granted that switched to Business and eventually Finance, but I can say when I was 10 years old, I wanted to grow up and be a controller just like my Uncle Pete. Now technically Peter would be considered my 2nd cousin, however, I have called him my Uncle Pete since birth, and he has always treated me like a nephew. I always felt that Peter was more like my father’s brother than first cousin. To this day I have so much admiration for him and the way he treated me that I still, at 35 years old, refer to him as my uncle Pete.

Now, the funniest memory that I can recall dates back to the Westtown Sports Club days as well. It must have been August because the DiLullo’s just got back for their vacation at the shore, (this is before the purchase of the beach house). All of the kids were playing by the tennis courts and uncle Pete came up to my sister Laura (who was about 8 at the time) and tried to give her a hug. Now, anyone that has seen Peter DiLullo in August knows how tan he can get, so when he picked Laura up to give her a hug, she began to scream bloody murder. She thought he was of a different ethnicity and did not know this grown up dark man trying to give her a hug. Once she realized it was her uncle Pete, everything was fine but I remember everyone laughing hysterically. That story still comes up in the DiGug house from time to time and we always have a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment